Every January 1, more than half of American adults resolve to improve themselves in some way. We pledge to quit smoking, lose weight, start exercising, drink less, or in some way, change our behavior for the better. Unfortunately, most of us don’t achieve our goals. In fact, statistics show that just 8 percent of those who make a resolution actually achieve success.
Why such a low outcome? Because changing behaviors — without proper planning or outside help — is quite difficult for a majority of people. Most of us need encouragement, resources and tools to make real changes in our daily lives. At Healics, our certified wellness coaches help people achieve their goals every day. We understand the challenges ahead and provide the needed resources and support to achieve real results.
Here are a few tried-and-true tips for success from Healics coaches:
Goal-setting tips for optimal success
- Make only one resolution. This will allow you to channel your energy into changing just one aspect of your behavior.
- Forget any prior failed resolutions and focus only on what you want to achieve today.
- Choose a resolution that is personal and truly matters to you.
- Arm yourself with knowledge and tap all appropriate online and other resources.
- Break your goal into a series of small steps, focusing on creating sub-goals that are concrete, measurable and time-based.
- Tell friends and family about your goal. You’re more likely to get support and want to avoid failure.
- Regularly remind yourself of the benefits associated with achieving your goal by creating a checklist of how life would be better once you obtain your aim.
- Give yourself a small reward whenever you achieve a sub-goal, which will help you maintain motivation and give you a sense of progress.
- Make your plans and progress concrete by keeping a handwritten journal or a digital log.
- Expect to revert to your old habits from time to time. Treat any failure as a temporary setback, rather than a reason to throw in the towel and accept defeat.
How Healics can help
At Healics, we have the tools and resources to help your employees achieve their goals — long after the New Year’s confetti has been swept away. We can help turn resolutions into reality.
Whether you are a company of two or 10,000, Healics can work with you develop a wellness or coaching program that helps your employees achieve their goals, reduce their health risks and take the necessary steps to feel better. We’re nurse-owned and -operated, and will partner with you to create a wellness culture that helps to lower insurance claims, reduce health premiums — and most importantly — allows your employees to lead healthier, happier lives.