In the United States today, chronic medical diseases result in 70 percent of all deaths. Half of all American adults have at least one chronic health condition. Heart disease, cancer, chronic lung disease and stroke are the top four causes of death in the U.S. Diabetes is number seven.
The top 10 preventable risk factors for chronic disease are:
- Nicotine use
- Elevated blood pressure
- Physical inactivity
- Elevated blood glucose
- Elevated LDL cholesterol
- High salt diet
- Low omega-3 fatty acid diet
- Elevated triglycerides
- Alcohol use
Help your employees help themselves
There is no greater benefit that you can give to your employees than wellness. Through a Healics Health Risk Assessment (HRA), you can give your employees the information and power they need to take charge of their health and make lifestyle changes to help prevent disease, so that they can live the longest, healthiest lives possible.
Wellness is good for you too
A comprehensive analysis of 42 published studies of worksite health promotion programs showed that companies that implemented an effective wellness program realized significant cost reductions and financial gains, including:
- An average of 28 percent reduction in sick days
- An average of 26 percent reduction in health costs
- An average of 30 percent reduction in workers’ compensation and disability management claims
- An average $5.93 to $1 savings-to-cost ratio.
Did you know?
- For every 100 employees:
- 63 are overweight or obese
- 38 have high cholesterol
- 24 don’t exercise
- 33 suffer from stress/anxiety
- 29 have high blood pressure
- 18 smoke or chew tobacco
- 80% of all heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and up to 40% of cancer could be prevented if we ate healthier, exercised more and stopped using tobacco.
References: Vital Health Statistics, Series 10 HHS; WELCOA; World Health Organization