September is National Fruit & Vegetables – More Matters Month! At Healics, this is our mantra throughout the year. Every day, Healics coaches encourage participants in our wellness programs to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in their diets. We offer online resources, recipes, nutritional guides and other tips and tools to help people change their diets for the better by adding nutritious fruits and vegetables.
Why? Because there are so many benefits. People who eat a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can help lower their risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer. Eating healthy can also help prevent obesity and high blood pressure. How appropriate that an entire month is now dedicated to our cause.
Today, more than 90 percent of both children and adults don’t eat the amount of fruits and vegetables recommended by the latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans and the MyPlate nutrition guide. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans set by the USDA recommends we eat more fruits and vegetables than any other food group. In fact, they say that half of your plate at every meal should be a fruit and/or vegetable. Every step that we take toward eating more fruits and veggies helps make sure that our bodies are performing at optimum levels.
The National Fruit & Vegetables – More Matters Month initiative cites these top 10 reasons to add more fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Nutritious and delicious. Fruits and veggies taste good and are good for you.
- Fun to eat. Some crunch, some squirt, some you peel … some you don’t, and some can grow right in your own backyard.
- Quick, natural snack. Fruits and veggies are nature’s treat and easy to grab for a snack.
- Fruits and veggies are available in an almost infinite variety…there’s always something new to try.
- Vitamins and minerals. Fruits and veggies are rich in vitamins and minerals that can help you feel healthy and energized.
- May reduce disease risk. Eating plenty of fruits and veggies may help reduce the risk of many diseases, including heart disease, high blood pressure, and some cancers.
- Low in calories. Fruits and veggies are naturally low in calories.
- Fruits and veggies provide fiber that helps fill you up and keeps your digestive system happy.
- Fruits and veggies are nutritious in any form – fresh, frozen, canned, dried and 100% juice, so they’re ready when you are.
- Color and texture. Fruits and veggies add color, texture and appeal to your plate.
There is no question that eating more fruits and vegetables is a great way to improve your nutrition. But did you know it can also be simple? It can be as easy as adding fruit to a bowl of cereal or adding grated carrots and zucchini to pasta sauce. What better opportunity than National Fruit and Vegetable Month to add more healthy fruits and vegetables into your diet? And there’s no better way to achieve dietary and other goals than with a Healics coach at your side.
Whether you are a company of two or 10,000, Healics can work with you develop a coaching program that helps your employees set and achieve critical wellness goals, including making small changes in diet to make a big impact on overall health. We’re nurse-owned and -operated, and will partner with you to create a wellness culture that helps to lower insurance claims, reduce health premiums — and most importantly — allows your employees to lead healthier, happier lives.
Want to give your employees the benefit of better health? Call us at 1-800-HEALICS today or contact us now.